When was the last time you enjoyed a good night’s sleep? Need help remembering? Unfortunately, the same story is told by millions of Americans. Sleep disorders have become an epidemic all across the United States. According to the American Sleep Apnea Association, almost 1 in 4 adults reported insufficient sleep at least one night a month, while for more than 1 in 10 adults, restless nights have become a fact of life. Overall, between 50 to 70 million Americans have a hard time getting enough sleep at night, regardless of age and socioeconomic background, the majority of which never seek treatment.
There are various reasons why you’re struggling with a sleep disorder, including stress, anxiety, depression, and physical discomfort. While numerous treatment avenues for sleep disorders are available, chiropractic care is often suggested as an alternative therapy for poor sleep. But can chiropractic treatment help you rediscover restful sleep? This article will explore the connection between chiropractic care and sleep and how chiropractic adjustments can improve your sleep quality!
What are the Causes Behind Sleep Disorders?
Before discussing how chiropractic care can help you manage your sleep problems, it’s important to understand the causes behind them. Sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea or insomnia, are brought about by numerous factors, including:
- Stress and Anxiety: Stress and anxiety are the number one culprits behind poor sleep. Stress causes the mind to become overactive, making it difficult to fall or stay asleep.
- Lifestyle Factors: Poor diet, lack of exercise, and excessive caffeine consumption can affect the quality of your sleep.
- Pain and Discomfort: If you’re experiencing chronic pain, you know how hard it is to find a comfortable sleeping position.
- Medical Conditions: Medical conditions, such as sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, and insomnia, can disrupt your sleep patterns and make it difficult to enjoy a good night’s rest.
The two most disruptive sleep disorders reported by the American Sleep Apnea Association are insomnia and sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is the sudden interruption in breathing experienced while sleeping. It occurs either because there’s something blocking the air’s path in your trachea (i.e., obstructive sleep apnea) or because your brain fails to control your breathing patterns while asleep (i.e., central apnea). In both cases, your brain instinctively wakes you up in order to breathe again properly. You can thank this reflex for keeping you alive, but only at the expense of messing with your sleep.
Research indicates that 1 in 5 American adults are suffering from sleep apnea, putting themselves at risk for all sorts of health issues, such as cognitive impairment, heart disease, hypertension, and even stroke. The traditional treatment avenue for sleep apnea involves the Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Device (CPAP) device at night to keep the air flowing through the trachea. A great deal of patients, however, search for more convenient ways to tackle this sleep disorder, such as chiropractic care!
Insomnia is a sleep disorder affecting all the stages of your rest schedule, making it hard to fall or stay asleep. Patients dealing with insomnia can hardly summon the energy required to be productive at home and work while preserving their physical and mental health.
At least 1 in 10 Americans do not get the 7-8 hours of nightly rest associated with a healthy lifestyle. Most instances of insomnia are acute, resulting from stress or dealing with a traumatic event. The onset of chronic insomnia occurs when the issue persists even after a month. According to the National Sleep Foundation, insomnia is often attributable to chronic neck and back pain, whose causes can be addressed through chiropractic care!
You Can’t Be Healthy Without Getting a Good Night’s Sleep!
You might think you can get past a sleepless night unharmed, but unfortunately, there’s no easy way to pay off your sleep debt. Over time, every hour of restless sleep will increase your irritability and daytime fatigue while making it harder to concentrate, think clearly, and rely on your memory. Furthermore, your immune system will take a severe blow, paving the way for high blood pressure, diabetes, mental health issues, heart failure, and stroke. A life of restless sleep is a life of stress, anxiety, and alienation from friends and family.
How Does Chiropractic Care Help Tackle Sleep Issues?
Chiropractic care involves the manipulation of the spine to improve alignment, reduce pain, and enhance overall health. For chiropractors, the nervous system plays a critical role in balancing our physical and mental well-being, and any disruption to it can cause various health issues, including sleep-related ones. By realigning the spine, chiropractors alleviate nerve interference, reducing pain and discomfort and improving sleep quality!
Chiropractic treatment will address the root causes of your sleep issues by:
- Reducing Pain and Discomfort: Chiropractic adjustments can reduce pain and discomfort, empowering you to rest in the most comfortable sleeping position.
- Alleviating Stress and Anxiety: Chiropractic care reduces stress and anxiety, two leading causes of sleep problems. Realigning the spine alleviates tension and promotes relaxation, leading to improved sleep quality.
- Improving Sleep Patterns: By reducing nerve interference, chiropractic care will improve the body’s ability to regulate sleep patterns, leading to more consistent and restful sleep.
- Enhancing Overall Health: Chiropractic care is not just about spinal adjustments. It also involves lifestyle recommendations, such as exercise, diet, and stress management. By addressing these lifestyle factors, chiropractors can enhance your overall health, improving sleep quality.
Why Do You Get Better Sleep After Chiropractic Treatment?
So many of our patients report feeling more relaxed and less tense after a chiropractic session! That is because chiropractic adjustments reduce nerve interference, allowing the body to function more efficiently. By improving the function of the nervous system, chiropractors alleviate muscle tension, reduce pain and discomfort, and promote relaxation, all of which contribute to better sleep quality! Chiropractic adjustments also enhance blood flow and oxygenation to the body’s tissues, including the brain, thus reducing inflammation, a significant contributor to sleep issues!
It’s Time to Rediscover Your Restful Sleep at Bergen Chiropractic!
At the Bergen Chiropractic and Sports Rehabilitation Center, our chiropractic team, led by Dr. Gregory Doerr, follows the highest and most professional medical standards to provide superior chiropractic help. Our mission is to provide unparalleled patient care through chiropractic sessions and services in a comfortable healing atmosphere. Access our contact form or call us at (201) 945-4075 to learn more about our chiropractic services! Our chiropractic offices at 532 Anderson Avenue, Cliffside Park, NJ 07010, and 62 Summit Ave, Hackensack, NJ 07601, are ready to welcome you as we proudly serve New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, PA, and Baltimore, MD, areas. Also, feel free to access our blog, Facebook, and Instagram pages for more information on chiropractic treatments!
- Centers, Chiro One Wellness. “Can Chiropractic Help My Sleep Apnea?” Chiro One, www.chiroone.com/blog/can-chiropractic-help-my-sleep-apnea/. Accessed 1 Mar. 2023.
- “Sleep Benefits of Going to a Chiropractor.” Sleep Doctor, 13 Dec. 2022, thesleepdoctor.com/sleep-hygiene/chiropractor-for-sleep/. Accessed 1 Mar. 2023.