So, you’ve just had a chiropractic adjustment, and you’re feeling better than ever.
You might think, “Is it time to jump back into my exercise routine?” or “How soon can I hit the gym?”
Regular exercise after a chiropractic adjustment benefits both the body and the mind, but you must do it the right way.
In this article, we will dive into the do’s and don’ts of post-adjustment workout routines so you can make the most of your newfound flexibility and alignment!
Should I Exercise before or after My Chiropractic Visit?
Hitting the gym or going for a run before your chiropractic appointment will significantly benefit your treatment. A light exercise routine will warm up your muscles and add to their flexibility. This means your body will be more relaxed and easier to manipulate when you visit your chiropractor.
But what about working out after a chiropractic appointment? Exercising immediately after might not be the best move. Your body has just been adjusted, and it’s now settling into a new groove.
Give your body some time to relax and get used to the adjustments. Rushing into a workout could mess with the excellent work your chiropractor just did.
A healthy rule of thumb is to take it easy for at least a few hours after your appointment. Limit your workout to light stretches or a gentle walk. After that, you can slowly get back into your routine.
4 Benefits of Exercising after a Chiropractic Adjustment
First off, light exercise boosts your blood flow. And more blood flow means your body gets more fuel to heal and do its job appropriately!
Next, light workouts keep your muscles flexible. After a chiropractic session, your muscles might feel a bit tight or stiff. That is why gentle stretches or a light walk will ease that feeling of tightness and help you feel more nimble and loose.
Let’s remember the mood boost. Exercise releases feel-good chemicals in your brain. Not only are you helping your body heal, but you’re also giving yourself a mini happiness boost!
Lastly, working out lightly after a chiropractic adjustment will help your body settle into its new alignment. Think of it like practicing a new dance move you just learned so you don’t forget it!
Focus on Stretches and Cardio after Chiropractic Care
What can you do to keep the party going? We’ve got two words for you: stretching and cardio.
First up, stretching.
After your chiropractic session, your muscles might feel like they’ve had a workout, even if they haven’t. That’s because they’re adjusting to the changes from the manipulation.
Here are some stretches that will boost the healing process after a chiropractic appointment:
- Neck Tilt: Gently tilt your head to one side, like you’re trying to touch your ear to your shoulder. Hold the pose briefly, then switch to the other side.
- Shoulder Roll: Lift your shoulders towards your ears, then roll them back and down. It’s like a mini massage for your upper back!
- Cat-Cow Stretch: On all fours, arch your back up like an angry cat, then dip it down while looking up. It’s a great way to stretch the entire spine!
Now, let’s talk cardio.
We recommend sticking to light cardio, like a brisk walk or a gentle bike ride, after a chiropractic adjustment. It gets your heart rate up and increases blood flow, giving your body a fresh dose of healing energy. It’s also a solid way to keep your body moving and grooving with your chiropractic adjustments.
After your chiropractic manipulation, listen to what your body is telling you. If it says, “I’m good to go,” then go for a light workout. But if it’s saying, “Let’s take it easy today,” that’s understandable.
How about Weight Training after Chiropractic Adjustments?
Weight training is incredible for building strength and muscle.
But right after chiropractic treatment? You might want to play it safe.
Think of your body as a newly built tower of blocks. If you put too much pressure on it too quickly, it might wobble or even fall.
Instead, consider using light weights for a while to continue working out without putting too much stress on your freshly adjusted body.
Now, “light weights” doesn’t mean you’re taking the easy way out. It’s all about being smart and letting your body adjust. You will still get a fantastic workout by doing more reps with those lighter weights. As time passes and you feel more stable, you may gradually increase the weight.
So, after chiropractic care, treat your body with kindness, go for lighter weights, and keep rocking your fitness journey safely!
How Long Should I Wait Before Exercising after Chiropractic Adjustments?
Jumping into vigorous exercises too soon may potentially worsen any issues you went to the chiropractor for in the first place.
The general recommendation is to wait at least 24 hours before doing high-impact or strenuous workouts. This time frame lets your body settle into its new, improved alignment.
However, this isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer. The exact wait time varies based on what your chiropractor did during your session and how your body reacts to the treatment.
Be patient, give your body time to adjust, and return to your exercise routine when the time is right!
Feeling Pain during Exercise after Chiropractic Adjustments
You’ve just had chiropractic care, and you’re feeling all refreshed and good. You decide it’s time to get moving and start exercising again. But then, as you get into the groove of your workout, you experience sudden spine pain!
First things first: stop whatever you’re doing—no heroics here. If you’re feeling pain, especially back pain, listening to your body before things get worse is essential.
Take a moment to assess the pain. On a pain scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being “barely noticeable” and 10 being “worst pain ever,” how would you rate it? If it’s on the higher end—7 or above—reach out to your chiropractor or a medical professional. They will provide guidance on the next step toward recovery.
Even if the pain is on the lower end of the pain scale, don’t ignore it. It’s still beneficial to rest and give your body a break.
Finally, track any pain you’re experiencing—when it started, how it feels, and any activities that might have triggered it. Such details will help your chiropractor determine if it’s related to your recent adjustment or something else entirely.
Boost Your Workout Routine with Chiropractic Care!
At Bergen Chiropractic and Sports Rehabilitation Center, our chiropractic team, under the leadership of Dr. Gregory Doerr, adheres to the highest medical standards to provide superior chiropractic help. Our mission is to provide unparalleled patient care in a comfortable, healing atmosphere.
Access our contact form or call us at (201) 945-4075 to learn more about our chiropractic care services! Our offices at 532 Anderson Avenue, Cliffside Park, NJ 07010, and 62 Summit Ave, Hackensack, NJ 07601, are ready to welcome you as we proudly serve the areas of New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, PA, and Baltimore, MD. Also, access our blog, Facebook, and Instagram pages for more information on chiropractic care!
- Banks, Dr. Rachel. “Can I Exercise after Visiting the Chiropractor?” Same Day Chiropractor, Chiropractic Education for Injuries, 1 Sept. 2021, www.arrowheadclinic.com/category/blog/exercise-after-visiting-the-chiropractor?hs_amp=true. Accessed 20 Oct. 2023.
- Lloyd, Ryan Todd, and Marshall Luck. “Is It OK to Exercise after an Adjustment?” Rincon Chiropractic, 26 Apr. 2023, rinconchiro.com/exercise-after-an-adjustment/. Accessed 20 Oct. 2023.
- “Scheduling Workouts around Your Chiropractic Adjustment.” Petett Chiropractic, 12 Nov. 2019, petettchiropractic.com/workouts-around-chiropractic-adjustment/. Accessed 20 Oct. 2023.
- “Should I Exercise after a Chiropractic Adjustment?” Chiropractor, Florida Spine and Injury Blog, 31 Aug. 2020, www.flspineandinjury.com/blog/should-i-exercise-after-a-chiropractic-adjustment?hs_amp=true. Accessed 20 Oct. 2023.
- “Should You Work out after a Chiropractic Adjustment?” AICA Orthopedics, 25 Oct. 2021, aica.com/should-you-work-out-after-a-chiropractic-adjustment/. Accessed 20 Oct. 2023.
- “Should You Wait to Work out after a Chiropractic Adjustment.” Effective Integrative Healthcare LLC, 4 Oct. 2022, www.eihmd.com/2022/06/15/should-you-wait-to-work-out-after-a-chiropractic-adjustment/. Accessed 20 Oct. 2023.
- “What You Should – and Shouldn’t – Do after Your Chiropractic Adjustment.” Swift Health Chiropractic, www.swifthealthchiropractic.com/what-you-should-and-shouldnt-do-after-your-chiropractic-adjustment/. Accessed 20 Oct. 2023.