Here at Bergen Chiropractic, our team of expert chiropractors, led by Dr. Gregory Doerr, helps patients achieve pain relief through various noninvasive methods. Out of the vast arsenal of chiropractic approaches at our disposal, one stands out as an effective way to restore normal muscle tone, stimulate blood flow, and break the cycle of unwanted chronic pain — kinesiology tape. Today’s article will talk about the wonders of the kinesiology tape we offer here at Bergen Chiropractic: SpiderTech!
What is SpiderTech Taping?
The SpiderTech kinesiology tape is a straightforward way to:
- Improve your muscular function
- Achieve pain relief
- Alleviate abnormal skin sensations
- Stimulate the body’s lymphatic system to relieve swelling and bruising
- Help achieve proper alignment of the joints
The SpiderTech tape is made from hypoallergenic acrylic glue to replicate the skin’s exact weight, thickness, and elasticity. This approach allows the tape to connect and synergize with the body’s natural sensory nervous system. In addition, SpiderTech makes use of 16 different pre-cut tapes to achieve consistent results with each application!
How Does the SpiderTech Kinesiology Tape Work?
The SpiderTech therapeutic tape achieves spectacular pain relief results through three applications: neurosensory, structural, and microcirculatory.
- SpiderTech stimulates the skin’s receptors to decrease pain perception (you will feel the tape instead of the pain).
- It restores proper muscle tone by stimulating the skin’s receptors and establishing proper muscle activation and function through the spinal cord.
- It interrupts the chronic pain cycles by altering sensory perception in the central nervous system (the irritability of these nerves returns to a normal state).
- The tape’s elasticity prevents possible harmful ranges of motion without discomforting the patient.
- The stretch of the SpiderTech therapeutic tape acts as a constant reminder to the patient to avoid poor posture.
- It causes reduced strain on injured or affected soft tissue.
- SpiderTech creates channels to sweep away swelling and bruising by changing the pressure under the skin.
- It improves superficial blood flow to promote a faster healing process.
- It removes chemical irritants and inflammatory markers that worsen injuries.
What are the Results of SpiderTech Taping?
Patients treated with SpiderTech kinesiology tape quickly return to pain-free ranges of motion and strengthening. As a result, they will gradually perform day-to-day tasks with less pain or fear of re-injury and return to athletic, work-related, or house-related activities sooner. In three words: less painful motion!
How to Apply the SpiderTech Tape
Adequate application of the SpiderTech kinesiology tape is imperative for it to be beneficial. The actual way the tape is applied might vary from patient to patient — depending on their health issues — but the main principles of applying the SpiderTech tape are compiled in the 12 Principles of SpiderTech Tape Application document created by the SpiderTech experts. We will enumerate and explain each of these steps for the benefit of our patients. Visual learners will benefit more from this video.
- Have the skin ready for the application: The skin must be clean, dry, and free from oils for the tape to stick to the skin.
- Take your skin’s health into consideration: Affected skin patches (e.g., by sunburns) are sensitive to the SpiderTech tape. Avoid applying the tape to such skin areas to prevent itching or irritation.
- Timing is of the essence: Save at least one hour before applying the tape and activities such as bathing or exercising to prevent sweat or water from reducing adhesion.
- Water-related dos and don’ts: Refrain from rubbing the tape when taking a bath, and pat it gently after bathing.
- Do not wear the SpiderTech kinesiology tape for more than five days at a time.
- Apply the base of the tape (i.e., Section 1) with the beginning and ending portions of the other numbered tape sections (i.e., 1-2 inches) without stretching the muscle or the tape.
- Keep your fingers away from the adhesive: The oils secreted by your fingers will inhibit proper adhesion and cause the tape to peel prematurely.
- Peel the paper backing while gradually applying the SpiderTech kinesiology tape to the skin. Apply each segment of the tape at a time to ensure proper adhesion.
- Rub along the top of each tape section while applying to activate the adhesive.
- For the Sensory Application Method, apply the base of the tape as described. Afterward, stretch the muscle while applying the other sections of the tape.
- For the Structural Application Method, you will have to stretch the tape while applying its other sections.
- When ready to remove the tape (i.e., five days after application), stretch the skin while gently rolling it off, or press your index finger down to slide it off the skin. Observe the direction of hair growth when removing the tape.
How to Use SpiderTech Taping for Pregnant Women
Out of all our patients, the ones with the most health benefits to reap from using the SpiderTech kinesiology tape are pregnant women. Although a magical moment in every woman’s life, pregnancy is no walk in the park. Living for two people simultaneously comes with significant changes. Women typically gain 25-35 pounds over nine months, and that extra weight causes constant pain and discomfort, particularly in the hips, back, and stomach area. Sciatica, swelling, fluid retention, and varicose veins make it even more important for women to seek pregnancy pain relief.
That is why we encourage all future moms to use our SpiderTech pregnancy tape! Right off the bat, the Pregnancy Spider tape will provide support to the back, hips, and abdominal area, alleviating the pain brought about by the extra weight. In addition, the simple one-piece design allows pregnant women to self-apply the tape, either underneath the sternum (i.e., the vertical bone in your chest) or below the baby bump.
Here is a breakdown of the body areas best suited for the Pregnancy Spider tape:
- Below the baby bump (for added support and pain relief in the pelvic floor muscles)
- On the sides of the abdomen (to provide belly support and alleviate abdomen and lower spine pain)
- On the lower belly and back (for both abdomen and back pain)
Learn More About SpiderTech Taping at Bergen Chiropractic!
At the Bergen Chiropractic and Sports Rehabilitation Center, our chiropractic team, led by Dr. Gregory Doerr, follows the highest and most professional medical standards to provide superior chiropractic help. Our mission is to provide unparalleled patient care and services in a comfortable healing atmosphere. Access our contact form or call us at (201) 945-4075 to learn more about our chiropractic services! Our chiropractic offices at 532 Anderson Avenue, Cliffside Park, NJ 07010, and 62 Summit Ave, Hackensack, NJ 07601, are ready to welcome you as we proudly serve New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, PA, and Baltimore, MD, areas. Also, feel free to access our blog, Facebook, and Instagram pages for more information on chiropractic treatments!
- “Pregnancy Spider.” Tummytape, spidertech.com/us/pregnancy-spider. Accessed 10 Jan. 2023.
- “Understanding the 12 Principles of Spidertech Tape Application.” Kinesiology Tape Info Center, 7 Jan. 2020, www.kinesiologytapeinfo.com/understanding-the-12-principles-of-spidertech-tape-application/. Accessed 10 Jan. 2023.